Sunday, September 5, 2010

Harvest Rain Water for cleaning and garden use






There was a huge stack of used plastic containers at the back of my office building. They were used for storing chemicals for the factory use. On closer examination, I discovered the containers were well protected with galvanized iron (GI) cages and pallets.

Each container is equipped with an outlet stop valve and top filling port with a 5-inch diameter cap. The manufacturer of the container is Schutz Container System Incorporated, Lawrenceville, Georgia, USA. I noticed a label – RECYCLABLE CONTAINER.

Existing rain water downpipe
Wow! It’s a dream come true! I have been scouting around for some time for these! What a waste if I do not recycle them. With the help of my colleagues, I brought the container home and connected it to the rain water downpipe. 












nTo complete the pipe connection, five pieces of elbow, one T-joint, 10 feet of 4-inch diameter PVC pipe is required. Since there is no high pressure from the rain water, it is not necessary to seal or glue the joints.



At the outlet valve, a pipe reducer from 2 ¾ inch to ½ inch is connected to facilitate tap fitting and enable the usage of standard garden hose.




Downpipe cut for joining to the 
storage tank port


The total cost of the connection fitting is RM76.00(USD25.00). With this rainwater harvested and collected, I can save RM30.00(USD9.00) per month on my water bill.
Two inlet pipes connected to the
 top filling port holes


  



Completed connection to downpipe.


Two storage tanks assembled and connected.


Grease the elbow for easy joinning
Outlet valve before fixing the tap connection


Storage tank with outlet tap fitted.


No comments: